Have you ever been late to a craze? That’s me with the painted rock craze. I’ve been in the leaf craft craze– hold on that’s not a craze yet– and it’s taken a little time for painted rocks to sink into my blood.
Better late than never though, right? So here’s a beautiful Painted Rock Flower Craft that your kids will love. Not just a painting rocks, this activity:
- Builds pattern recognition
- Is interactive and tactile (kids have to move stones around)
- Builds color recognition
- Encourages curiosity and creativity
Painted Rock Flower Craft Materials
- White coated rocks (or paint your own)
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes
Make this Painted rock flower craft
- Find or buy stone-like rocks with flat surfaces. If you didn’t buy white ones, paint them white first.
- Let the rocks dry.
- Now it’s time to paint. Keep the biggest rocks for the middle of the flower and the smaller rocks for the petals. You can paint real flowers like a poppies, chrysanthemums, sunflowers and daffodils or you could use bright colors and patterns. Paint the main color on all the rocks first.
- Once all the rocks are dry, it’s time to paint on the details. I decided patterns were a good addition. It helps children recognize which flowers and petals go together. Try dots, zigzags, lines and more.
- Once one side is dry, try painting another flower pattern on the other side. It gives your kids even more options to play with.
Time to set all the rocks up on a table and let your kids mix, match and play.
Once they’ve matched the middle of the flower to the petals, let them get creative and make their very own flowers by mixing all sorts of petals together. They could try petal AB color patterns or rainbow flowers!
Try this flower rock craft with the free nature head printable below. The kids will love it!
If you haven’t joined the craze yet, become a late bloomer (pun intended) and try this lovely Painted Rock Flower Craft. Your kids will enjoy mixing and matching to make their own beautiful flowers!
Want more rock crafts?
- Space rocks: flip the rock to change the story
- Stunning Fall tree: flip the rocks to turn the tree leaves green.
Leave a Reply